October 22, 1941.
MEMORANDUM FOR THE ASSISTANT HYDROGRAPHER.
Subject: Lt.(jg) L. Ronald Hubbard, U.S.N.R. work
performed in Section S.D.& L.
1. During the period September 22 to October 4, 1941, inclusive, Lt. Hubbard was detailed to the Hydrographic Office for the purpose of completing the data on some photographs which he had previously voluntarily submitted to this Office before his commissioning in the Naval Reserve.
2. During this period he examined the prints of several hundred photographs and selected from them several dozen that were fairly clear possessing some navigational interest. These he mounted and annotated. He also indicated on several charts the positions franwhich the pictures were taken.
3. He also examined the text of the Sailing Directions – H.O. Nos. 175 and 176, British Columbia, Vols. I and II – for the places with which he was familiar as a result of his recent yacht cruise in these waters, and submitted several suggested changes or amplifications. These items are all brief, and some are unimportant, but in the aggregate they represent a very definite contribution. The items which concern H.O. No.175 have been checked, and many of them will be used in the 1942 Supplement to this book.
4. His performance of duty was satisfactory. The period was too brief to form a proper estimate of his temperament and other qualifications, but he made a favorable impression, and deserves commendation for his contributions.
C. N. Hinkamp
Captain, U.S. Navy
Officer-in-Charge, Maritime Security
HUBBARD, Lafayette R. Lt. (jc) I-V(S) 3,1392
Orders dated: 9-11-41
To BuNav on 9-18-41 for 2 wks temp ac du in HYDROGRAPHIC office.
September 11, 1941.
From: The Chief of the Bureau of Navigation.
To: Lieut. (jg) Lafayette R. HUBBARD, I-V(S), USNR.,
3038 P Street, N. W.,
Washington, D. C.
Via: The Commandant, NAVY YARD, Washington, D. C.
Subject: Active duty with full pay and allowances – chargeable against appropriation, “Pay, Subsistence and Transportation of Naval Personnel”.
(a) Executive Order of September 8, 1939.
(b) Naval Appropriation Act for current fiscal year.
(c) ALNAV 114, dated November 22, 1940.
Enclosures: (A) Affidavit re pension or disability allowance.
(B) N. Nav. 17
1. In accordance with the references, you will proceed for physical examination as directed in the first endorsement hereon. If found physically qualified, you will proceed to your home and consider further directions herein cancelled. If found physically qualified, you will proceed and report for active duty as indicated below:
To the Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Navy Department, Washington, D. C., on September 18, 1941, for two weeks’ temporary active duty in the Hydrographic Office. Upon completion of this duty, you will report for physical examination and, when directed by the Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, proceed to your home; upon arrival, regard yourself released from all active duty.
2. Upon completion of this duty, forward a copy of these orders, bearing all endorsements, to the Bureau of Navigation.
C. W. NIMITZ
It is requested that temporary orders be issued to Lieut. (jg) Lafayette Roland Hubbard for duty in the Hydrographic Office for a period of about two weeks.