U. S. NAVAL
SMALL CRAFT TRAINING CENTER
ROOSEVELT BASE, TERMINAL ISLAND
SAN PEDRO, CALIFORNIA
19 October 1943
From: Lieutenant LaFayette Ronald HUBBARD, D-V(S), USNR.
To: The Chief of Naval Personnel.
1. The Commanding Officer, Small Craft Training Center,
Terminal Island, San Pedro, California.
2. Commander, Operational Training Command, PACIFIC.
Subject: Orders – request for.
1. It is requested that I be given orders to landing vessels
such as LST’s, destined for any combat area.
2. It is believed that my services may be of greater use in the amphibious forces; although Commander McDaniel of the Sub-Chaser Training Center, Miami, has again recently recommended that I be given another command such as a PCE or PC, it appears to me that officers with sea experience are more urgently needed in landing vessels.
3. My qualifications are as follows:
(a) Master of Motor Vessels (ltd. tng.) Coastwise, #160111 of 17 December 1940, Juneau, Alaska.
(b) Master of Sail Vessels, Any Ocean, #12005 of 29 March 1941, New York, New York.
(c) Commander of three expeditions and a resultant understanding of the waters and beaches of various parts of the world.
(d) Infantry training and understanding of landing tactics gained as 1st sergeant, USNCR, 1930/31 as well as in National Guard. Qualified in nearly all small arms and infantry weapons. Experience in thus handling up to a battalion of men.
(e) Service in South West Pacific (ONI) Dec. 41 to March 42.
(f) Commanding Officer, USS YP422 (heavy beam trawler) June/Oct. 42.
(g) Full Course SCTC, Mead, Fla. (Command Group).
(h) ASW and Sound courses, Fleet Sound School, Key West, Fla..
(i) Commanding Officer, USS PC815, January to July, 1943.
4. I am at present on temporary duty with this station awaiting further orders to sea duty. My date of rank is 25 June 1941 as Lt.(jg) and 15 June 1942 as Lieutenant.
L. Ron Hubbard
1st Endorsement To L. LaFayette R. Hubbard’s ltr of 19 October 1943
From: Commanding Officer
To: Chief of Naval Personnel
Via: Commander, Fleet Operational Training Command, Pacific.
Subject: Orders – Request for.
- Forwarded recommending approval.
F. C. HUNTOON
2nd Endorsement to Lt. LaFayette R. Hubbard’s ltr. of 19 October 1943.
[Handwritten note:] No action – past record indicates not qualified to command.
F. A. Braisted
Elmer F. Helmkamp