Subject: Lieutenant LaFayette R. HUBBARD, D., U. S. Naval Reserve, 113392, (Inactive), Box 1796, Savannah, Georgia. Physical Fitness — proceedings pertaining to retirement.
L. P. HOLT
Retirement Advisory Board
4. From a review of the medical record together with the present findings it has been concluded that Lt. Hubbard has an active chronic duodenal ulcer, a mild to moderate conjunctivitis of an allergic type, minimal to moderate osteo-arthritic changes of the dorsal and lumbar spine; and a chronic bursitis of the right shoulder with calcium deposits in or near the tendinous insertion of the supraspinatus muscle. It is considered most likely that these conditions arose while this officer was serving in an active duty status and it is believed that he is unfit for any duty at the present time but that these defects are not necessarily permanent.
Box 1036 G.P.O.
New York City
October 22, 1948
From: Lieut. LaFayette Ronald HUBBARD, D USNR, (Inactive) 113392
To : President, Retirement Advisory Board
Washington, 25, D.C.
Subject: Physical Fitness – report concerning.
1. As suggested in your letter to me of recent date, I reported to the St. Albans Naval Hospital, St. Albans, L.I. for a complete and thorough examination to determine my present physical condition.
2. As requested, I am reporting to you that the examination has been made and was completed as of this date after a period of nine days of hospitalization.
3. The findings of the officers at the St. Albans Hospital, I am assured, will be submitted to you as soon as they are typed and signed.
4. Lack of proper identification of your correspondence in this letter is due to my having have to part with your letter to me at the hospital and the lack of a copy in their files.
LaFayette Ronald Hubbard
cc: C.L. Weickhardt.
3. Foreign Language Ability
4. Special Skills, Hobbies, Etc.
5. College Or University
Geo. Wash. University
8. Name Of Employer
Freelance to 8 magazine companies.
Low and uncertain due to serv. conn. disability
9. Publications, Inventions, Special Qualifications
11 fiction novels, 1 text on psychology in preparation.
14. General Remarks
Currently undergoing disability review before the Retirement Advisory Board. VA awarded disability 50% now in effect. Limited to Continental limits US by orders.
From: President, Retirement Advisory Board, Navy Department, Builting T-3, Room 2022, Washington 25, D. C.
To: Medical Officer in Command, U. S. Naval Hospital, St. Albans, New York.
Subject: Lieutenant LaFayette Ronald Hubbard, D, USNR, 113392, (Inactive), Box 1036, General Post Office, New York City, New York. Request for physical examination and diagnostic study.
In order to assist this Board in its review of this case, it is requested that subject-named officer, when he presents himself for examination on a pre-arranged date, be given a thorough and complete physical examination to determine his present physical condition. It is desired that particular attention be given to the diagnosis ulcer, duodenum. Forwarded herewith for such assistance as they may be to you are photostats comprising a copy of the medical record of this officer, Enclosure (A), which this Board has received from and is obligated to return to the appropriate files of the Navy Department.
L. P. Holt