3. After a thorough review of the record and careful consideration of the case of Lieutenant LaFayette R. HUBBARD, D, U.S. Naval Reserve, 113392, (Inactive), including the record of proceedings of the Naval Medical Survey Review Board dated 11 June 1948, the appearance and argument in his behalf of his representative, Dr. H. C. micAD., Medical Consultant, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, Defense Building, 1026 Seventeenth Street, N.V., Washington 6, D.C., before this board on 14 December 1948 in the absence of Lieutenant HUBBARD, and the report of special medical examination by the. Naval Hospital, St. Albans, New York, dated 19 November 1948, the Retirement advisory Board recommends that the opinion and recommendation of the Naval Medical Survey Review Board dated 11 June 1948 be disapproved and that, Lieutenant Hubbard be authorized to appear before a naval retiring board.
From: President, Retirement Advisory Board, Navy Department, Builting T-3, Room 2022, Washington 25, D. C.
To: Medical Officer in Command, U. S. Naval Hospital, St. Albans, New York.
Subject: Lieutenant LaFayette Ronald Hubbard, D, USNR, 113392, (Inactive), Box 1036, General Post Office, New York City, New York. Request for physical examination and diagnostic study.
In order to assist this Board in its review of this case, it is requested that subject-named officer, when he presents himself for examination on a pre-arranged date, be given a thorough and complete physical examination to determine his present physical condition. It is desired that particular attention be given to the diagnosis ulcer, duodenum. Forwarded herewith for such assistance as they may be to you are photostats comprising a copy of the medical record of this officer, Enclosure (A), which this Board has received from and is obligated to return to the appropriate files of the Navy Department.
L. P. Holt
Sept [ ], 1948
Retirement Advisory Board
Wash. D. C.
Dear Sir —
You have my retirement appeal pending hearing and I wish to inform you of my current address–
Lieut. LaFayette Ronald Hubbard
D, USNR (Inact.) 113392
Box 1036 General Post Office
New York City
My VA claim no is C7017422.
L. Ron Hubbard
El Cajon, Calif.
July 21, 1948
From: Lieutenant LaFayette Ronald HUBBARD, D, USER 113392 (Inactive).
To : President, Retirement Advisory Board, Building T-3, Room 2022, Navy Department, Washington, D.C..
Subject:Physical fitness – proceedings pertaining to retirement.
(a) Your letter dated 6 July 1948, EXOS:RAB:LPH:lh-531.
(b) Veteran’s Administration award of disability compensation, 44A-8CDB of Los Angeles Sub-Regional Office dated Feb. 26, 1948.
Encl: (A) Copy of reference (b).
1. Information requested in reference (a) is submitted forthwith.
2. I wish to be represented by counsel in my absence and have appointed the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Defense Bldg., Wash. D.C., Mr. Weickhardt, to represent me if this be agreeable to the Board.
3. The only additional documentary evidence which I deem valuable is enclosure (A) in that it contains the result of a complete physical examination by the Veteran’s Administration as of this year, based upon earlier examinations by that organization shortly after my separation from service – within eight months of separation – and confirmed by a complete re-examination early this year.
4. My counsel will be informed in this mail.
LaFayette R. Hubbard
3. Please inform the Retirement Advisory Board, Building T-3, Room 2002, Navy Department, Washington 25, D. C., promptly if you desire to submit additional documentary evidence as to your present physical condition and whether or not you desire to appear in person with counsel, or in your absence to be represented by counsel, before this Board at the hearing of your case.